Business trip to Belgium
October 23rd to 28th, 2022
After a 3-years pause due to Corona epidemic, the Egyptian-Belgian Business Association (EBBA) organized a successful business trip to Belgium that included 13 members as from Sunday, October 23rd, 2022 and for a period of 5 days, including the day of arrival and departure.
The trip was very well organized by Dr. Rasha Galal (Plenipotentiary Trade Minister and Head of the Commercial Representation Office - Egyptian Embassy in Brussels), and her Deputy Mr. Mahmoud Amin (Commercial Diplomat). They made great efforts in terms of arranging the dates of the various interactions, making hotel reservations for the delegation members, and arranging the transportation means of the delegation to various places throughout the interval of the visit, things that contributed in making the whole trip a success.
His Excellency Ambassador Badr Abdel-Aty (Ambassador of Egypt to Belgium & European Union), kindly attended the delegation's activities and delivered speeches, as well as arranging a visit to the Royal Museum in Antwerp, H.E. also held a large reception party at his Residence on Wednesday, October 26th, for the delegation and their predefined guests. The reception also witnessed the presence of a number of Belgian officials, including Mr. Pascal Smet (State Secretary of Brussels-Capital Region for Urbanism, Heritage, European & International Relations, and Foreign Trade), who honored the delegation with his presence.
Dr. Rasha Galal kindly invited the delegation members to dinner on Monday, October 24th. During the trip, several high-level meetings of great importance were held, namely:
1. Meeting at The Arab-Belgian-Luxembourg Chamber of Commerce - Brussels (ABLCC):
- In this visit, the members were well received by Mr. Qaisar Hijazin - Secretary General of the Chamber, who gave the word to H.E. Ambassador/ Badr Abdel-Aty. H.E. explained the great potentials for investment and trade with Egypt.
- H.E. Mr. Rachid Madran (President of the Parliament of the Brussels-Capital Region) delivered a speech in which he welcomed the delegation and thanked them for their visit. Dr. Rasha Galal also gave a welcome speech for the delegation, during which she explained the fields of cooperation between Egypt and Belgium in all fields of trade and investment.
- During the first session of the Egyptian Economy Committee, Mrs. Heba Hussein (Investor Relations Department at the General Authority for Investment and Free Zones - GAFI) made a presentation about the Egyptian economy and investment and business opportunities in Egypt.
- The attendees then watched a film tilted (The Business Environment in Egypt & the Follow-up of the Belgian Mission to Egypt).
- On the second session for the team, Belgian experience and success stories in Egypt were presented by Mr. Philippe Dessoy (General Manager at Besix Corporation) and Mr. Amedeo Peyron (Director of Middle East Area - DEME). During this session, an open discussion took place (Q & A) that were concluded by comments from Mr. Rafik Attia (Chairman of EBBA).
- During the meeting, there was an update and signature by both Mr. Rafik Attia - Chairman of EBBA & Mr. Guy Bultynck , Chairman of the Chamber for the Cooperation Agreement between the Chamber of Commerce of Belgium, Luxembourg and African, Caribbean and Pacific countries (CBL-ACP) and the Association, which was initially signed in 2015.
- After lunch, the delegation members attended P2P meetings with some Belgian parties, where they exchanged their views and visions on potential business opportunities between both parties.
2. Chamber of Commerce - Liege:
- In this meeting, the delegate were well received by Mrs. Laurence Slagen (SPI, Development Agency of Liege Province) and Mr. Jacques Halleux (Director of the Business Unit at the SIRRIS Innovation Center, located within the Liege Science Park), as well as Mr. Alphie Cartuyvels (Chief Executive of Public and Corporate Affairs - Walloon Export Agency).
- During the meeting, Dr. Rasha Galal gave a short speech welcoming the delegation, and Mr. Rafik Attia gave a short speech thanking the officials of the Chamber for their kind reception. They attended a presentation about the economy of Liege by Ms. Laurence Slagen, Ms. Marielle Germis (AWEX, Walloon Export & Investment Agency), and Mr. Alphie Cartuyvels.
- They the delegation visited the Liege Center for Public Science and Research, followed by a business lunch. Afterwards, Mrs. Heba Hussein presented a film about (The Egyptian Economy, The Work Disk and Investment in Egypt.
- Finally, Mr. Christian Wauthier from AWEX made a presentation about (The Logistic Assets and Infrastructure of Wallonia).
- At the end, the delegation left back to the hotel in Brussels.
3. Chamber of Commerce - Antwerp:
- First, the delegation visited the Royal Museum of Fine Art, which has been undergoing renovation and expansion for more than ten years, arranged by H.E.Ambassador Badr Abdel-Aty. During the tour, they were accompanied by the Deputy Director of the Museum in person, where they enjoyed an artistic and cultural view of the museum's rare antiques and archaeological paintings then they went for lunch.
- Afterwards, they moved to the Chamber of Commerce, where they were well received by Mr. Dirk Bulteel (Director of the Chamber). Mr. Cuneyt Er (KON - Carpet Company) also made a presentation about (Practical Experience Working with Egypt).
- Finally, the delegation attended P2P meetings with the Belgian parties working in their related fields, and then left to the hotel in Brussels.
With this event, the successful business trip was concluded and the members of the delegation departed Belgium.
Photo Gallery of the Event
(Click on image to enlarge)